June 24, 2011

From Daddy

Kyra

by Kory Conrad on Thursday, June 23, 2011 at 11:40pm

For the past two months we have been in and out of the Cleveland Clinic. Today they decided to go in and fix a stricture at the top of Kyra's Colon. The surgeons were reluctant to go in because the bowel can be damaged easily, it's fragile, with no guarantees that a new stricture wouldn't form from the scar tissue that is left over from the operation.

Two years ago on this very date Kyra had her first surgery. Through the skillful hands of Dr. DiFiore he was able to attach 5 separate pieces of small intestines together. One piece was about a cm long. He managed to accumulate 9 cms of intestine. We were told that a child needed 70 cms to live.

Kyra's Neonatologist Dr. D'Netto never let our family lose hope. There were many dark hours throughout the first years of Kyra's life, but Dr. D'Netto was a beacon of light especially for my wife. Kyra's guardian angel walks on Earth. She goes by Marita. I would be amiss if I didn't mention the skilled work of Kyras gastrointestinal team led by Dr. Radhakrishnan. They formulated a plan for Kyra and it's surpassing my family's dreams.

To make a very long story short. After today's surgery the surgeons informed us Kyra has 70 cms of small intestine and 30 cms of large. I asked the surgeon if you didn't know Kyra's back story, what would be your prognosis. He said "a normal life". I never thought I would ever hear those words considering Kyra. I am a blessed man.

Now anyone who knows my family. Kyra has had many ups and downs. I'm always cautious talking about the future for Kyra because we are reminded daily there are no guarantees for a tomorrow. I now have "hope" for a tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment